New Delhi, March 19: The Jat protests that were planned in Delhi on Monday have been called off, the organising body said on Sunday evening after talks with the Manohar Khattar-led Haryana government.
“Our agitation and march towards Delhi has been called off,” said Yashpal Malik, the chairperson of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS), PTI reported.
The decision followed several rounds of meetings between the government and prominent Jat leaders, details of which are still awaited.
Malik’s announcement came as Khattar held a press conference saying the Centre and state would soon begin the process of giving Jats reservation, the key demand of the community.
Those protesting had planned to march to Delhi, which lead to tight security measures being put in place. The national capital was fortified on Sunday itself, with metro connectivity scheduled to be cut off beyond Delhi borders.
The restrictions continue to remain in place.
The AIJASS was denied permission to carry out a march to Parliament. Instead, they threatened to block all highways leading to the capital over their demand for the reservation and withdrawal of cases against all Jats during last year’s protests in neighbouring Haryana.
The preemptive restrictions lead to several clashes in Haryana’s Fatehabad district, where protestors allegedly pelted state police with stones and set two police buses ablaze.
A superintendent of police and a deputy superintendent of police were among nine policemen injured in clashes with protestors who were prevented from marching toward Delhi.
The call to march to Delhi had left the city on tenterhooks as protesters threatened to block entry points and various agencies involved in providing essential services to the national capital.